15 April 2012

Selling My Soul

Hold the press! The kindly people from the JobCentre have revoked their decision to offer me absolutely no money at all while I search diligently for a job and have instead decided to award me the incomprehensible sum of 88p per week.

While it is awfully kind of them to reconsider my economic position in society all the way from their offices in Scotland, this now means that I have to provide proof of my job searching activities and go to the JobCentre every other week to sign on in order to claim my 88p. I'm going to say it again out of sheer disbelief.... 88p.

Please, please keep your money and preferably shove it somewhere unmentionable. Or at least give it to a more useful, less time-wasting cause. This is absolute bureaucracy gone mad and I refuse to participate in it. All it means is that I am now the government's female dog and must adhere to their ridiculous laws in order to get my bone... and a measly old bone it is too.

I have just got back from Berlin, a city that was not so long ago divided by a wall and whose inhabitants (at least in the East) were often forced into conspiring with the secret police in order to get their daily bread. Have I essentially just sold my right to live a free and private life for the price of a loaf of bread? I don't want to get carried away with comparisons here but I'm a historian (or so they told me at university) and so I like to make historical connections between our present day and past occurrences. It was Pasha in Doctor Zhivago who claimed "the private life is dead in Russia". Perhaps the private life here is dying? How many national databases share our private information every day? How many people sell their privacy for 88p?

While I don't have to be a part of this, I refuse to be. Ironic really, considering the fact that I am blogging my life to the world, but at least that is of my own choosing. And plus, I like to think it is my own minute political stand. Better ring the JobCentre now and tell them I choose not to sell my soul for 88p and I really haven't found them the least bit helpful. After all, I am the one who has just secured myself work experience at Time Out Magazine. I can't wait to get some more experience. It may be unpaid but even they are offering me travel expenses and £2 for my lunch each day... I might even be able to afford some sandwich fillings for my bread now.

3 comments:

  1. Unemployement problem is agreat problem for a Country.Economic crisis create unemployement problem.Increase job vacancy try to be solve.


    sell my house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie you have lots of excellent experience, surely you must be getting invited to interviews?

    Though you probably know already, www.w4mp.org has some very interesting internships and entry posts for people like you. Might be worth having a look at :)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam,

    It's amazing how many interviews I'm actually NOT being invited to! I've had my CV looked at by professionals as well as examples of cover letters I've written and they have all been OKd.

    I did however, have a very exciting interview today at Bloomsbury publishing which would be my ideal job. Fingers, toes, and everything else crossed for that one!

    And thanks for the website link.

    ReplyDelete